So, your current lease expires in a few months. You have no clue if you should renew your lease or take on the hurdle of searching for an apartment. When should you start your search for a new place? Better yet, where do you start your search?
While closing 210 apartments in 2015, we developed a cheat-sheet that helps our clients find the perfect rental & keep coming back to us to find their next rental or purchase.
1. Start your search 60 days prior to your current lease end date. Every rental that we take on is listed 60 days in advance. We always advise our clients to contact us in that time frame in order to give them an idea of what is on the market. This will allow you to be one of the first showings on certain units, which can make or break your chances at locking down the spot you desire.
2. Make a list of your "must-haves". What can you live without. Hitting every bullet point on your wish list is very hard, if not impossible. Find out what you love/hate about your current apartment and rank them in order of priority. Do you love central AC? Do you really need a walk-in closet and dual vanity? Asking yourself these questions will help us narrow down your search and show apartments that meet your needs!
3. Websites like craigslist.org & zillow.com are the hub for our rental listings. It is tiring and frustrating to search online through thousands of rentals but it's a great starting point. Always talk to the listing agent on the phone because it is a more efficient way of getting answers to your questions and booking an appointment as soon as possible!
4. Narrow your ideal neighborhood down to one or two areas. If you say I like Wicker Park but I'm open to Lincoln Park, West Town & Northbrook....you are likely to chase your tail and watch your dream apartments rent from under you.
5. If you've ever searched for an apartment in Chicago during the summer, you know how exhausting it can be. Watching the apartment that you envisioned yourself in rent right as you are going to apply can be heartbreaking. We like to see our clients walk out knowing they walked out excited to begin living in their new home. Luckily, we know which units to show our clients and we're not scared to let them know time is of the essence.
For more tips on leasing or buying, contact us directly and we can give you the inside edge.
Pogofsky Real Estate Group, LLC.